Skip to main content

The Castle and a Rail Bridge in Pogonik

The Castle and a Rail Bridge in Pogonik

Pogonik Castle dominates a small elevated piece of ground at the biggest meandering section of the Sava River overlooking a railway running underneath. Pogonik Castle is situated 5 km away from Litija on the old road via Kresnice. It was built in the beginning of the 16th century, most probably after 1511, when many castles in Carniola were destroyed in a severe earthquake. According to the sources of the 17th-century historian Valvasor, the castle was built by the Verneški noblemen out of the stones of their destroyed Vernek Castle.

The life in and about the castle was especially dynamic during World War II. German soldiers occupied it and for this reason the partisans attacked it in 1944 and burnt it down. At the same time they launched an attack on the railway bridge and lamed the enemy’s connection between the European battlefields. The original wooden rail bridge dating from 1848 was replaced by an iron bridge construction fifty years later. During World War II, the bridge was damaged and was first replaced in 1999. The panoramic view across the Sava River, which wraps around three sides of the castle, is amazing. However, it is just as interesting to watch the railway traffic as the chorus of whistle blows disappears into the tunnel beneath the castle.

GPS:  N 46°05'03" / E 14°49'27" (castle Pogonik)
GPS:  N 46°05'03" / E 14°49'27" (Iron Rail Bridge in Pogonik)