Skip to main content

Church of St. Martin, Šmartno pri Litiji

Church of St. Martin, Šmartno pri Litiji

Župnija Šmartno pri Litiji

Usnjarska cesta 6, 1275 Šmartno pri Litiji

The mighty neo-Gothic church of St. Martin (“cerkev Sv. Martina”) is the central point of Šmartno pri Litiji which was named after the church. The church with its two 60-meter bell towers houses monuments of important local figures from the 16th century. The beauty of the interior of the large church is adorned by paintings by Anton Jebačin and Kastner from Vienna.

The mighty church, which is visible from afar, is the centre of the town first mentioned in 1135. The church in the Heart of Slovenia is an attractive choice for wedding ceremonies and a popular sight on various treks around the Heart of Slovenia.

GPS: N 46°02'39" / E 14°50'36"