Skip to main content

Pilgrime church of Mary's birth, Gradišče at Primskovo

Pilgrime church of Mary's birth, Gradišče at Primskovo

Župnija Primskovo na Dolenjskem

Gradišče 17, 1276 Primskovo na Dolenjskem

  • T: +386 (0)1 897 50 51

In the southern hilly part of the Posavsko hribovje hills lies the village of Gradišče, a popular scenic and hiking destination.

Primskovo was first mentioned in 1258, by the name of Prinskau. In the past, this region was especially known by the cone-shaped Primskova gora mountain with a famous pilgrimage trail and by numerous vineyards.

At the top of Primskova gora mountain, the remains of one of the most magnificent defence camps in the region of Slovenia can still be seen. The camp dating from the beginning of the 15th century was designed as a fortified signal point. Legend has it that despite numerous invasions the Ottomans did not succeed in breaking the defence, the reason for this being Mary, the protector of the church. Special attention is attracted by three shrines in the middle of the camp. The heart of them all is the parish church of Mary's Birth which has been famous as Mary's pilgrimage. St. Peter's church dates from Roman times and is between 800 and 1000 years old. It houses the tomb of the Bogenšperk castle nobility. Both churches, along with the youngest St. Nicolas church, are mentioned as soon as in Slava Vojvodine Kranjske (The Glory of the Duchy of Carniola) by Janez Vajkard Valvasor.

As a remembrance of the days gone by, a mighty linden tree grows in the middle of the camp. Moreover, a visitor is reminded of the strong religious legacy of this place by the chapels of the Stations of the Cross skirting the road to the hilltop.

In Primskovo, Jurij Humar, »the wonder-man from Primskovo«, a homoeopath, people's doctor, an outstanding practitioner of rediesthesia, bioenergetics and telepathy, used to work in the past.



GPS: N 45°58'57" / E 14°54'40"